Friday, December 14, 2018

Grant V.


Topic: Restorative justice for bullying


[In a classroom in 2018, at 12:30]

Kevin: “Okay, just need to put this computer away and then I will go to lunch.”

Meanwhile, a girl named Ava stepped into the classroom.

Ava: “Hey, what are you doing right now?”

Kevin: “I’m just putting this computer away, why?”

Ava: “Are you alone right now?”

Kevin: “Ya?”

Then Ava walked towards Kevin until she was up in front of Kevin's face. And then Ava started to attack Kevin. She punched aggressively nonstop and she made bruises all over Kevin’s body and face.

While Ava was hurting Kevin, a witness passed by the classroom and saw what Ava was doing to Kevin. The witness ran downstairs and told a teacher what happened.

Witness: “TEACHER, something is happening in the classroom upstairs!”

Teacher: “What’s happening up there?”

Witness: “There’s a fight in the classroom upstairs!”

Teacher: “What? OK, I’m going up there right now!”

The teacher quickly ran upstairs and prevented Ava from hurting Kevin. Now Ava and Kevin had to stay after school for a circle with there classmates Jack and Ashelen.

[In school, at 3:15]

When school was over, Ava and Kevin now had to go join the circle downstairs with Jack and Ashelen.

Jack: “Welcome to the circle everyone. My name is Jack, and this is my friend Ashelen.”

Ashelen: “So we heard from the teacher that you two had a fight in the classroom upstairs.”

Jack: “OK, first thing’s first, Ava. Why would you hurt Kevin?”

Ava: “OK. In fourth grade, I was playing basketball on the basketball court and then Kevin walked up to me and grabbed my basketball from me and chucked it over the wall.”

Jack: “Kevin, is that true?”

Kevin: “No...?”

Ashelen: “Ava, can you tell us the whole story?¨

Ava: “OK...”

[Outside in fourth grade in 2015, at 1:00]

“When it was lunch time, I was playing basketball on the basketball court. And then Kevin showed up, Kevin told me to give my ball to him, and I said no. Kevin got really mad about what I said, and he tried to grab the basketball from me, and once he got my basketball, I fell hard to the ground. Then Kevin chucked the ball over the wall. I had scrapes and cuts on my face, and Kevin didn't notice I fell, but I said to myself that this is a story that I will never forget.”

[In the circle in 2018, at 3:30]

Kevin: “Ava. I remember that I was being mean to you, but I didn't know you fell. I´m sorry that I was being mean to you in fourth grade.”

Ava: “It's OK. And I'm sorry that I was beating you up in the classroom.”

Kevin: “You really hurt me in the classroom. But I know now that I was hurting you in fourth grade. And I forgive you too.”

Ava: “OK, how about this: we should never hurt each other ever again, deal?”

Kevin: “Deal.”

And then Ava and Kevin hugged it out and thanked Jack and Ashelen for their help.

Ava: “Hey Kevin?”

Kevin: “Ya?”

Ava smiled at Kevin in friendship.

Ava: “What are you doing right now?”

In conclusion, when a bully is hurting a person, you can't just suspend them or punish them. You will probably make them feel worse about themselves. You should rather have two students or more to help and talk to the bully and the student that was hurt by the bully.

2 comments:

  1. I like the it because it was good and I liked it a lot. I liked how the bully and Ava became friends, and they hugged it out.
    - Jenny T.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how detailed the parts are when they are bullying each other and its not just like oh he took the ball and she fell or she went into the classroom and started bullying him I also like the bookend you have at the end where she says the same thing but isn´t going in the class to beat him up. Dustin F.

    ReplyDelete

Please write a comment that is positive and specific -- for example, something you appreciate about the narrative, or how it has shifted your thinking. No criticism or insults! Students, please sign your comment with your first name and last initial.