Friday, December 14, 2018

Jayson B., Angel C., & Matt H.


Topic: Homelessness


On a warm and sunny Saturday, I was walking down the sidewalk, and I saw a homeless man who had a sign that said, “Homeless need money or food please help.” I felt bad for him, so I asked him what his name was and how old he was, and he said it was Kevin, and he was 29 years old. I asked him how long he has been homeless, and he said he has been homeless for four years. I felt very bad; I never knew how bad it was to have no home. It looked like he hadn’t taken a shower in years. I asked him why he was homeless, and he said that four years ago he lost his job and could no longer pay his bills. Kevin said that is how a lot of people become homeless and that California has about 134,000 homeless people. I felt terrible for him.

So after the chat Kevin and I had, I was wondering whether Kevin was good enough to give $50 to. He seemed like a great guy, but in the back of my head I kept wondering if he was just pretending to be nice and was really going to spend the money on drugs. I fought this battle in my head until I heard Kevin say, “Well Joe, I best be going back to my spot before it gets dark.’’ And at that very moment I made my decision.

“Hold on, Kevin,” I said, and I frantically looked through my backpack until I found my wallet. I pulled out a $50 bill and gave it to him, saying, “You deserve this, Kevin.” He thanked me graciously, and I went on home.

Then I was walking down the same street on another warm and sunny Saturday. I saw another homeless man, so I asked him his name...

2 comments:

  1. i like how you made it very intresting

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did a very good job showing how most people get homeless, because before reading this I had assumed most homeless people were homeless because of a drug addiction. - Kendall C.

    ReplyDelete

Please write a comment that is positive and specific -- for example, something you appreciate about the narrative, or how it has shifted your thinking. No criticism or insults! Students, please sign your comment with your first name and last initial.