Friday, December 14, 2018

Josh S.


Topic: Global warming


Remember. Come on, come on. Remember. Where am I? Who am I? All the things that escaped my memory. There was a heavy, painful throbbing in my head. Why? Why was my head hurting? Did I fall? So dark. So cold. I shivered and started to feel around. Suddenly there was a cold metallic feeling at the tips of my fingers. The cold was almost painful, kind of like a frozen knife. Felt like a metal workspace, though. I slid my hand around and touched slimy cold oil. Just then, memories came flooding back to me like a wave at sea. Some kind of flashback, I thought. Oil building, coworkers, and family.

A thought appeared: “Your name is Adam, and you were contributing to something very bad. It’s called global warming.” What had just happened? That wasn’t my thought! As I tried to calm down, I noticed the air change from freezing to humid. Why? Just a moment ago it had been freezing, so why was it hot now? There must be an exit somewhere. Like maybe a trapdoor. So let’s try to find the key.

I started to walk on all fours. A couple of steps, and the third step on my hand was a key. I knew it was a key because one of the pegs stabbed me in the hand. I tightened my grip on the key. Now I just needed to find the trapdoor. It probably has a ladder below it, so I’d better find it. I started walking and what do you know, I hit a wooden ladder. Found a rung and started climbing. All of a sudden, bam! My head hit the lock for the trapdoor. The pain in my head worsened. I pulled the key out and put it in the keyhole. Heard the sweet “click” of the lock, for I had turned the key. Pushed the trapdoor up, and light came flooding in. I looked back into the previously dark room. It was a bunker. Looked like someone had been there with me, caring for me, and it looked like maybe I had been in a coma. I climbed out. Didn’t want to think about where the person that was caring for me was now.

I looked to the right. It was a desert. I looked to the left. I spotted a city and started walking towards it. For a while I kept a good pace, but I started to get thirsty. I was two thirds of the way there when I got a little light headed. When I got to the city, I was stumbling.

“I needed water and fast,” I thought to myself. I looked around. Almost half the city was flooded, there were no animals in sight, and the city looked as though it had been hit by the biggest earthquake ever.

“I’d better find a food place,” I thought. I stumbled away to a nearby Burger King. When I got there, my legs started walking on their own. I reached behind the counter and grabbed a plastic water cup. I walked to the water dispenser and got some water. My hand raised the cup to my mouth, and the frosty water poured in my mouth. I walked out.

“I want to see what happened to the city, so I should get to a high building,” I thought. I spotted a tall building and went into it. I started to climb the stairs. When I got to the top, I saw what had happened. There were almost no plants, and even though half the city was flooded, the city still looked so dry somehow.

Suddenly the building started to shake, and I thought, “It was an earthquake!” As the building started to collapse, I was thinking, “That voice from the thought was right. Global warming did this. And I contributed to this. I was an oil worker. We could have prevented this by shutting the companies that contributed to global warming, so why didn’t we? Why didn’t we?” I hit the ground, and I was gone.

1 comment:

  1. I like how detailed your story is! Will there be a sequel? - Hyla H.

    ReplyDelete

Please write a comment that is positive and specific -- for example, something you appreciate about the narrative, or how it has shifted your thinking. No criticism or insults! Students, please sign your comment with your first name and last initial.